- The author of Swallows and Amazons, Arthur Ransome, married the secretary of Leon Trotsky.
In the 16th century, the bestselling book was not the Bible, but Erasmus’ handbook on good manners for children.
- People in Iceland read more books per capita than in any other country.
- The biggest book in the world is 1.75 metres tall.
- Ten popular idioms about books are as follows: ‘a closed book’, ‘an open book’, ‘read someone like a book’, ‘the oldest trick in the book’, ‘in someone’s good books’, ‘by the book’, ‘bring someone to book’, ‘take a leaf out of someone’s book’, ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’, and ‘cook the books’.
- Jonathan Swift invented the name Vanessa.