I thought I would try a blog post which is a little different today. I have collected book facts from all over the Internet, and will present them to you over the course of a week.
- Hugh Lofting, the author of Dr Doolittle, believed that books should have a ‘senile’ category to counteract the ‘juvenile’ section.
- Playwright Joe Orton went to prison in 1962 for defacing library books with a picture of a man wearing trunks.
- ‘A book scorpion’ is a person who is hostile to books or learning.
- Joan Didion often slept in the room with the book she was working on, to feel closer to it.
- The smallest book in the Welsh National Library is entitled Old King Cole. It measures 1x1mm, and the pages can only be turned with a needle.
- The Japanese work ‘tsundoku’ means buying many books, and then never getting around to reading them – something which I feel we are all guilty of!